Ok, this is one of those recipes that is hard to write because it was just a little of this and a little of that from the refrigerator. Using up leftovers and odds and ends can be hard, but essential to reduce food waste. I HATE throwing away food! Because of this I have developed a skill for putting things together and making a new dish. My mom used to call this Mustgo as in “this must go, that must go.” As children my brothers and I would actually as for “musko” thinking it was an actual dish.
For this mustgo I had mostly odds and ends that needed to be used up before we left for a trip. Not enough of anything to make an actual recipe. We also had leftover pasta. I always seem to make more pasta than sauce. For the vegetables you could use leftover stir-fry, fajita vegetables, or frozen whatever. The sun-dried tomatoes are optional as not everyone has them in their refrigerator all the time as I do:) Nutritional yeast is also optional, but totally delicious. Happy mustgo to you!
Vegan Mustgo Pasta
- Leftover cooked pasta, about 3 cups
- 1 TBL olive oil
- 1 TBL oil from sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- 1-2 cups of vegetables (I used 1 onion, 3 mushrooms, and a little broccoli)
- 1/4 vegetable broth
- 2 TBL nutritional yeast (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBL sun-dried tomatoes in oil, sliced
- 2 TBL fresh basil or 1 tsp dried (optional)
- 1 Tomato, chopped (optional)
- Heat oils in skillet over medium heat.
- Add vegetables and saute until cooked through.
- Add the leftover pasta, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper.
- Cook until vegetable broth has evaporated.
- Add garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh tomato cooking 2 minutes.
- Add the fresh basil if using, and toss lightly before serving.