It’s winter which is always the time for comfort food. And right now after the holidays is it a time for quick comfort food that makes you feel warm all the way to your soul. Mac and cheese is one of those. This is pretty quick, you boil the water for the noodles, then once they go in you can start making the sauce. So not counting water boiling time, this takes about 8 minutes. Not bad for a feel-good happy gooey lunch or dinner.
I also love to serve this with chili for a super happy healthy gooey comforting meal. Ohh yeah. Did I mention this vegan mac and cheese will fill the void that was once filled with cheese? Ohh it will.
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces pasta
- 2 tbl vegan butter
- 3 tbl non dairy milk
- 3 tbl flour
- 1 cup of noodle water (from cooking pasta)
- 1/2 tsp of mushroom or vegetable broth powder (optional if you don’t have it on hand)
- 3 tbl nutritional yeast
- 3 tsp tahini
- 3 tbl vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice (you could also use apple cider vinegar if you have to)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Grated vegan cheese (optional) (I only use it when I have leftover that needs to be used up)
- Cook pasta, saving the water.
- In a separate pot melt the butter over med/low heat.
- Add milk, then quickly whisk in the flour until it is incorporated into the butter making a paste.
- while whisking slowly add noodle water. Whisk until smooth.
- Add broth powder, nutritional yeast, tahini, cream cheese, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and cheese if using, stir together.
- Heat until everything is warmed through.
- Added pasta and stir to combine.
- Serve hot.
- Note: The sauce should be thick, but you can add more noodle water or milk if it is too thick for your taste.