Vegan Sloppy Joes are the perfect summertime meal for sitting on the deck, or a potluck with friends. A hearty meal filled with summer flavors and perfect with pickles and potato chips which are two quintessential summer foods. This recipe removes any “meat” product and uses barley for the hearty filling. If it is too hot to cook you could also put all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook for several hours, maybe 6-8, on high.
- 1 Cup pearl barley
- 2 Cups vegetable broth
- 2 TBL tamari
- 1 TBL vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 TBL yellow mustard
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger buns, halved and toasted
- Cook barley in the vegetable brother, tamari, and 1 TBL of Worcestershire sauce until tender, about 25- 30 minutes.
- Once the barley is cooked saute the onion in a high sided skillet until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the green pepper and cook 1-2 minutes more until just tender.
- Add barley, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard and the 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir together and cook until warmed through.
- Serve warm over toasted buns.