These Kabobs will fulfill all your grilled vegetable dreams. They are herbaceous, savory, bring umami, acid, salt, and even sweet tastes to your palate. You can, of course, choose the vegetables you like the best. Personally I would be perfectly happy with just tofu, mushrooms, and onions served with a green salad on the side. Perfection.
These can be a side dish, or an entree. I love to make these when we BBQ with friends. They eat them as a side, and I have a entree I adore.
Pacific Rim Kabobs
For the Marinade
- 1 stalk fresh lemon grass, roughly chopped
- 7 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 6 scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 TBL natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- juice of 2 small limes, about 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain yogurt (non-dairy or dairy)
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 TBL olive oil
- 1 lb extra firm tofu cut into 1″ cubes
For the Vegetables
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium onion cut into 1″ pieces
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow squash, cut into rounds
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat for the tofu.
- Once skillet is hot add the oil, swirl to coat the bottom of the pan, and add the cubed tofu.
- Cook on the first side until golden grown, about 3 minutes.
- Flip tofu and cook, turning occasionally until all sides are golden brown.
- Toss tofu into a large container.
- Add all the cut vegetables into the same container as the tofu and top with the marinade.
- Stir tofu and vegetables to fully coat with marinade.
- Let everything sit for 4-6 hours.
- Once marinated use bamboo skewers that have been soaked for at least 20 minutes and skewer vegetables and tofu alternating vegetables to create beauty.
- Grill over an outdoor grill preheated to medium high, turning occasionally until slightly charred in places. This will take 10-15 minutes.
- Baste with leftover marinade as desired, and at the end of cooking.
- Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold as leftovers if there are any.
One thought on “Pacific Rim Vegetable Kabobs (vegan optional)”