During my pregnancy I had an insatiably craving for chocolate chip scones. Unfortunately they are not easily accessible around me. It was a sad time as I visited coffee shop after coffee shop searching for the treat I was craving. When I could not find them I turned to the internet, and turned my search to a scone I didn’t feel so bad eating. This recipe is adapted from Baker By Nature , I changed it up a good bit, and made it vegan, but same idea. They turned out quite delicious. My husband, who doesn’t like baked goods for breakfast (I know, how strange is that), ate three.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Scones
- 2 1/2 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 TBL Earth Balance Sticks
- 4 TBL cold vegetable shortening
- 1/2 large very ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup zucchini, grated and drained (see post or note below for further clarification)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400°(F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat; set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together 2 1/2 cups of the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut the Earth Balance and vegetable shortening into small cubes then quickly work it into the mixture (using a pastry blender) until it resembles a coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the banana and milk, then add to flour mixture. Add the grated zucchini, and chocolate chips to the scone mixture; gently fold them into dough with a spatula until combined.
- Pour the shaggy dough out onto a clean, floured work surface and shape the dough (you will have to work/knead it quite a bit to get it together) into an 8-inch circle. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and carefully transfer them to the prepared sheet.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Cool for about 10 minutes on the pan before transferring to a cooling rack, or your plate.
2 thoughts on “Vegan and almost healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Scones”