This was a quick throw together soup I made to take to a friend’s house when I invited myself over during lunch time. I made this during two minute increments while I had a needy baby, so it passes the easy test. I think the hardest part is chopping the kale, but I had bought pre-chopped (don’t tell anyone) and it was quick. I was surprised at how good it was because it was so easy. When my husband tried the few leftover bites he requested I make it again soon. I did, (once again on a needy baby day) with a different kind of curry paste, and it was still delicious. So, when you are looking for a quick, easy, delicious, satisfying meal to eat during a snow storm, or on a low-motivation/needy baby day, this will be the perfect thing.
Red Lentil Coconut Curry Soup
- 1 TBL coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 TBL vegetable broth powder or one bullion cube
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2-3 TBL curry paste, red or yellow
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Salt to taste
- In medium saucepan heat coconut oil over medium heat until melted.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, lentils, water, and broth powder, bring to a simmer, then cook until sweet potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, curry paste, and kale cooking until the kale is tender, and lentils are cooked through, 5-10 more minutes.
- Taste and add salt as desired.