It still feels like summer here on the East Coast, but fall is fast approaching. Fall is my favorite! I can’t wait for the cooler days and the leaves to change color, to be able to wear jeans without sweating to death, and sweatshirts. Who doesn’t love a cozy sweatshirt? There have been a few hints of fall this week with a couple of leaves falling and the nights becoming slightly cooler. It has gotten me in the mood. I make pumpkin muffins at the beginning of the week, and here we are making pumpkin spiced french toast. No, I do not drink Pumpkin Spiced Lattes, that’s yucky, too sweet, but I love the real stuff. Also, pumpkin is a vegetable, and, to be honest, I used butternut squash puree today so it’s another sneaky way for me to put veggies in everything. Toddler approved!
Top this fragrant french toast with maple syrup, coconut whipped cream, cinnamon roll topping, or anything else your heart desires.
Pumpkin Spice French Toast
- 2 happy eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree or butternut squash puree
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- few dashes nutmeg
- 6 slices whole grain bread (I used a flourless sprouted bread)
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Whisk the eggs until uniformly yellow.
- Add pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg whisking to combine.
- Dip bread into batter one slice at a time, and allow to rest while your pan pre-heats. This lets the batter soak into the bread a bit which makes for a better texture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot add oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add bread in a single layer leaving room between the slices. I have to cook this in 2 batches.
- Cook on the first side until golden brown, 2-3 minutes, flip and cook until the second side is also golden brown, a few more minutes.
- Serve hot with topping of choice.