One last brunch idea before Easter. If you’re like me, you pretty much always have the ingredients for this dish on hand, so even if you don’t feel like shopping you can still have an elegant brunch tomorrow. The Hollandaise sauce is one of my all-time favorite vegan things. It is just so perfect; creamy, rich, decadent, and healthy! Oh, so much more healthy than the “real” thing. I actually like it better too. You should serve this with something light and fresh to balance the rich sauce, such as some fruit or a mimosa or two. This is a quick dish, but you need to be hands on to get everything ready at the same time.
Vegan Tofu and Avocado Benedict With Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
adapted from “How It All Vegan”
For the Tofu
- 1lb extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 8 slices
- 3 TBL olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 TBL apple cider vinegar
For the Hollandaise Sauce
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 TBL all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- 1 large avocado thinly sliced
- paprika for finishing
- Heat your largest skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. I use my use huge cast iron.
- While it is preheating whisk together the nutritional yeast, flour and salt in a small saucepan.
- Slowly drizzle the water into the nutritional yeast mixture whisking until smooth and set aside.
- Once your pan is hot (droplets of water sprinkled in the pan immediately sizzle and evaporate), add your oil and heat for a few seconds while swirling to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Place the tofu in the pan in a single layer (be careful as the oil will spatter when the wet tofu is added).
- Cook the tofu until golden brown on one side, 2-3 minutes, then flip and continue cooking on the second side until also golden brown, another 2 minutes or so.
- Once both sides are cooked remove the tofu from the heat, sprinkle the salt over the tofu, and drizzle the apple cider vinegar over everything. The heat from the pan will encourage evaporation. Set this aside in the hot pan to stay warm while you finish the hollandaise sauce.
- If you are a multi-tasker start this step right after you have flipped your tofu. If not, just do it after the tofu is done as it will be fine, but the sauce needs some attention.
- Put your nutritional yeast mixture on the stove and heat over medium-low heat whisking frequently until it has thickened to your desired consistency, about 3 minutes. When it is as thick as you would like, remove from heat and stir in the mustard and lemon juice.
- Place your toasted English muffins on your plates, top with slices of avocado, then the tofu, and drizzle the hollandaise over everything. Sprinkle a dash of paprika over the top for color if you like and serve immediately.