This recipe has a long title and a lot of steps, but it is totally worth it. This could be a perfect main dish for your vegan Thanksgiving, or a perfect addition to take to Thanksgiving at a friends. You can eat this as a entree and be happy, and others will eat it as a side and be amazed at your cooking abilities. This is a luscious, rich, and satisfying vegan holiday meal.
You can make the ravioli ahead of time and freeze them to cook on the day of whatever event you are celebrating, even if it is just a Wednesday evening at home. The sauce should be made fresh and don’t skimp on the Earth Balance. Now is not the time for diets.
Vegan Pumpkin Ravioli
- 2 TBL olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 block firm tofu, mashed
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 TBL nutritional yeast
- 1 TBL minced fresh sage
- 1 tsp salt
- Dash cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin or squash
- Heat olive oil in heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and tofu cooking until any water has evaporated from the pan.
- Add the vegan cream cheese, nutritional yeast, sage, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg stirring together until the cream cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 TBL olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- extra water for brushing
- In bowl of stand mixer mix flours, salt, oil and water with paddle attachment until combined.
- Switch to the dough hook and mix about 2 minutes on speed 2 to knead. The dough should form a ball, if it is crumbly add more water, if it is sticking to the sides of the bowl add more semolina flour.
- Cut the dough into 4 sections and run through your pasta roller according to its directions until it is the thickness recommended for ravioli, a 5 on my machine.
- Lay out rolled pasta on a lightly floured surface.
- Brush the side of the pasta facing up with water using a pastry brush.
- Place pumpkin mixture on pasta dough by heaping tablespoon. The mixture should be about 1/2″ away from one edge of the pasta, and about 1″ between each spoonful.
- Fold over the half of pasta dough that does not have pumpkin mixture on it pressing the dough between each heap of pumpkin to seal.
- Once dough has sealed to itself cut the ravioli to leave one heap of pumpkin in each ravioli.
- Dust ravioli with more semolina flour and place in one layer on a semolina dusted plate until ready to cook. You can also freeze them at this point.
- When ready to cook bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Once water boils cook ravioli 3 minutes and remove to pan with sauce to finish cooking.
- 6 TBL Earth Balance
- 3 TBL fresh sage, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or more vegetable broth
- Heat Earth Balance in a large skillet over medium heat until starting to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add sage, garlic, and walnuts cooking until garlic is tender and sage starts to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and wine cooking until reduced, 5-7 minutes more.
- Add the cooked ravioli directly from the water and toss in the sauce to finish cooking, about 1 minute.
- Serve hot.