I make this meal about once a week when it’s cold out. It is my favorite. It is like Vegan Lasagna in 20 minutes. It was kind of hard to write a recipe for it because it is a little different every time. This is the basic version, where it all started. I basically use a cheap jarred sauce and make it taste super yummy. This is a very quick weeknight meal.
Few tips: I always add a little of the water I cook the pasta in at the very end. I rinse out the sauce jar with it and add it to the pasta. About a 1/4 of the jar of water. Sometimes I add a little wine if we are having it with dinner. I might also add sweetener if it tastes a little acidic. It depends on the sauce you are using. You can use any green instead of the kale, or take it out altogether. I also love to roast eggplant and just add it over the top. Enjoy!
Vegan Loaded Pasta Sauce
- Olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced button or cremini mushrooms
- 3 cups chopped Kale
- 3/4 block of extra firm tofu
- 3 TBL Vegan cream cheese
- 2 TBL nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp veggie broth powder (optional)
- 1 TBL molasses
- Salt to taste
- 1 TBL Italian seasoning
- 1 Jar pasta sauce
- 1 package noodles of your choice cooked according to package directions
- Heat olive oil in a large pan with high sides, or a pot over medium/high heat.
- Saute onion and mushroom for about 5 minutes until the onion is starting to look translucent adding a dash of salt if you like.
- Add the Kale and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Mash the tofu into the pan with your hands or a fork.
- Stir in the cream cheese, nutritional yeast, molasses, veggie broth powder if using, salt and Italian seasoning. I use about 1/2 tsp of salt, but it is optional.
- Add the jar of sauce and about 1/2 cup of cooking water from the pasta cooking until everything is heated through.
- Serve over pasta.