So this cake is a little silly it is so good. It is so rich and filled with awesomeness even I was little skeptical about how rich it could be. Somehow it all works out. The layers are cut and drenched in caramel keeping the cake incredibly moist. Everything is then topped with the chocolate ganache. There is no way anyone could tell this is a vegan cake unless you told them. Trust me. You will be the hero of the holiday party if this is your offering. The cake and ganache are from “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World”, the Bourbon Caramel is adapted from the Minimalist Baker website. There are a few steps to this recipe with the instructions for putting it all together at the bottom. Enjoy!
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease, flour and use parchment paper to prepare two 8″ round cake pans.
- Briefly stir non-dairy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside to curdle.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Once the milk and vinegar has curdled add the sugar, oil and vanilla and almond extracts.
- Beat together until foamy.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans, distributing batter equally.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake out clean.
- Remove cake from pans and allow to cool on cooling rack.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- pinch of salt
- Heat sugar and water on medium heat to a simmer. Swirl pan, but do NOT stirring for about 15 minutes or until a deep amber color is reached. Watch carefully as this will burn easily.
- Once desired color is reached, remove from heat and slowly add non-dairy milk while stirring.
- Add salt and bourbon and cook over low heat for another minute while stirring.
- set aside until ready to use.
- If there is extra you can store in a glass bottle in the refrigerator and re-heat when ready to use.
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup Amaretto (or more non-dairy milk)
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 TBL pure maple syrup
- In a small sauce pan bring non-dairy milk and Amaretto to a gentle boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips and maple syrup mixing until smooth.
- Set aside at room temperature until ready to use.
Putting it all together
1. Once the cake is cool cut each cake in half to make four layers total.
2. Place the bottom layer on a cake plate. Pour caramel sauce over cake spreading until it has soaked into the cake.
3. Repeat with remaining layers using as much caramel as the cake will hold.
4. Once cake is stacked carefully spread the chocolate ganache over top and sides of the cake.
5. Serve in small slices saving plenty for your breakfast the next morning.
4 thoughts on “Vegan Chocolate Bourbon Caramel Cake with Chocolate Ganache”