I recently had a baby (reason 1 why I have been so terrible and posting for the last year) and often need quick and yummy food. We are also gearing up for a winter storm here in Maine, which means I need something warm and comforting. This chowder fills all the need with its creamy, comforting, delicious, savoriness. It is what I crave when it is cold and rainy or snowy. It is also one of the easiest things to make. When I have 10 minutes and a crazy day I will throw this together in the slow cooker and let it do its thing. I don’t know how to describe this other than as a comfort food. You can feel yourself relaxing while eating a bowl, and warming from the inside out. I served this to a group of very non-vegan friends and they all loved it and asked for the recipe. No one could believe it was made without dairy. Score one for vegan chowder! I’m sorry for no picture. I blame the baby.
- 3 1/2 cups cubed potatoes (I like russet potatoes for this one)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels (I use frozen)
- 1 15oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water (or vegetable broth)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 TBL vegetable broth powder (omit if using vegetable broth)
- 3 TBL nutritional yeast
- 2 TBL vegan cream cheese (optional)
- 2 TBL dry white wine (optional. Use more veggie broth, water or milk)
- Place all ingredients In a pot or slow cooker.
- Cook over low heat until potatoes are tender, stirring g occasionally if cooking on the stove, about 30 minutes.
- If using a slow cooker cook 6 hours on low.
- Serve hot with fresh bread
One thought on “Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder”