As strange as this meal sounds, it is quite delicious. Wolfie is sensitive to something and I have been on a major elimination diet to try and figure it out. One of the things I have been eating a lot of for breakfast during this time is oatmeal. Well I’m just plain sick of sweet oatmeal and I needed something savory for breakfast. This has been my go-to breakfast for the last few weeks. It would also work for a dinner if you called it oat risotto or something fancy like that. I was hesitant to try a savory oatmeal, but I needed the salt. Ohh, do I love salt. I am now looking forward to breakfast again. Anyway, here is a wonderful entry to the world of savory oatmeal, and one of the healthiest breakfasts you can find. This combination is one that actually keeps me full for several hours unlike most anything I eat in the morning. This is also gluten free if you make sure to use gluten free oats. I hope you enjoy it.
Savory Oatmeal with Kale and Walnuts
- 2 1/2 cups chopped kale
- 1 TBL olive oil, or 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts or seeds (toasted if you desire)
- 1 TBL nutritional yeast
- salt to taste
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil or water and kale, sauteing until tender, 7-10 minutes. -If you cook the kale in oil it will get a bit crispy and yummy bitter like kale chips. If you want your kale more tender as if steamed use water.
- While kale is cooking, heat vegetable broth in a small saucepan to a boil.
- Once vegetable broth is boiling, add rolled oats and cook, stirring occasionally until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Once oatmeal is cooked remove from heat and stir in nutritional yeast.
- Add salt to kale to taste, then place kale on a plate, top with cooked oatmeal and nuts.
- Serve immediately.
2 thoughts on “Savory Oatmeal with Kale and Walnuts”