Once upon a time I worked for a wilderness therapy program and every night I ate the same meal. Sounds terrible, but it was actually kind of fun; you had the same basic ingredients and spices for every meal, and you had to figure out what to make with them. This is the best combination, and something I still eat to this day. I just made it again the other night and as I was eating it I remembered how much I like it. Every time I make it I think “why don’t I make this more often?” Maybe one day I’ll listen to myself. This is a super quick, easy, and very tasty meal. The curry powder brings a warmth to the dish while the cajun gives it life. It is salty, spicy, unexpected, and extremely satisfying. Enjoy around you next campfire, or after coming home from a long day in the sun, but for sure before the summer leaves us behind.
Best Ever Rice and Beans
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups refried beans or one 15oz can
- 2 TBL curry powder
- 1 TBL Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- Bring rice and vegetable broth or water to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in refried beans, curry, cajun, salt, garlic, and cayenne.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve alone or topped with fresh tomatoes, salsa, cilantro, or whatever your heart desires.