I didn’t think I was going to get a post up this weekend; It has been such a crazy week here! I started working again, Wolfie started daycare, and well, life. I’m still adjusting to my new schedule and it feels like I’m running around all crazy like and getting nothing done. I’ve also decided to give up caffeine, so that doesn’t help! But, here we are, 6am, the family is still sleeping, and I’m writing a post just in time for your Christmas dinner.
I actually brought this to Thanksgiving this year, and it was delicious! I have told you I go to a meat-eating Thanksgiving so I like to bring an entire vegan meal in one dish. This had potatoes, roasted vegetables, gravy, a hearty “main” component, and a light and fluffy bread. It was just all layered together so it could be re-heated in a small portion of the oven, and I could bring everything with my in a very full car. With this dish the only other things you need to bring are dessert, and cranberry orange relish. Your holiday is complete. You’re welcome.
One Dish Vegan Holiday Meal
- 1/2 of a small butternut squash, cut into cubes (I made the whole squash and we ate the part I didn’t use here for other things throughout the week.)
- 2 TBL olive oil
- salt to taste
- 2 TBL olive oil
- 3 small/medium portabella mushrooms, sliced into long strips
- 1/2 batch vegan gravy without the mushrooms.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 batch cooled scalloped potatoes (I make a full batch, then eat what I don’t need for this.)
- 2 sheets vegan puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place your squash in one layer on a large baking sheet (I like to put a silicone mat down first).
- Drizzle 2 TBL oil over squash, sprinkle with salt, and give it a stir.
- Cook, stirring every 15 minutes until the squash is soft, and starting to brown, about 45 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Pour in the oil, heating it for a few seconds, then add the portabella mushrooms and saute, stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Get all your pre-made everything and set it out for easy access.
- Line your baking dish with parchment paper (this is optional, but it looks good and is functional.)
- Place one sheet of puff pastry in the bottom of your baking dish.
- Cut a rectangle out of the scalloped potatoes just smaller than the puff pastry.
- Place the potatoes on the puff pastry, layer with mushrooms, gravy, and squash.
- Cover the top with the second sheet of puff pastry making sure to seal the edges so everything doesn’t leak. I cut my top sheet into strips and braided it just for fun.
- Bake the whole thing in a 350 oven until golden brown 40-45 minutes.
- Serve warm for sure, extra gravy over the top would not be unwelcome.
One thought on “One Dish Vegan Holiday Meal That Has It All”