It’s almost Easter which means it is time for pie. Really it is always time for pie, but especially now. Any family gathering is better with a delicious pie. One of my family favorites was always French Silk. The deep dark chocolate, the fluffy whipped cream… So rich and delicious. This one that took years of me thinking of how to convert and egg and cream filled pie to vegan, without once attempting a creation before I even had a brainstorm of how to get the perfect combination of taste and texture. This is it folks; a rich, creamy, dark chocolaty confection in a perfectly flaky crust topped with coconut whipped cream.
Vegan French Silk Pie
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour-pluse extra to roll crust
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 TBL shortening
- 3 TBL very cold water-add an ice cube while making the recipe
- Mix the flour and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter or fork.
- Mixing with the fork add just enough of the water to hold the crust together in a ball with no large cracks.
- On a clean dry flat area sprinkle flour in a shape larger than you want your crust.
- Split the dough in half and make each half in to a ball.
- Place the dough ball in the middle of the floured area and sprinkle more flour on the dough as well as on a rolling pin.
- Role the crust starting in the center of the ball and working toward the edges. -touch the dough as little as possible.
- When the crust is rolled to the size you desire pick it up using the rolling pin and place in pie plate.
- The second half can be used for a top crust or another bottom crust.
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 15 oz can full fat coconut milk (without an emulsifier as an ingredient)
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp granulated sugar (optional)
- Chill can of coconut milk overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, pour off the liquid still in the can and scoop the thick coconut cream into a chilled bowl.
- Whip the chilled coconut cream until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and sugar if using and whip again.
- 1/2 Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 12/3 oz silken tofu
- pinch of salt
- Using a double boiler melt the unsweetened and semi-sweet chocolate together. Once melted, set aside to cool.
- Cream Earth Balance buttery sticks and sugar together, using a mixer, until creamy and smooth.
- Add cooled chocolate and beat until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract, salt and tofu, beat everything until smooth and uniform in color, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into baked pie crust and chill at least one hour.
- Top with coconut milk whipped cream and serve.