I’m on a muffin kick. After last week’s Lemon Blueberry Muffins I was inspired to post more yummy, toddler friendly muffins. These are also sweetened with dates, so no added sugar. They also boast a bunch of veggies and have tons of fragrant spices. You could also add nuts and dried fruit if you are into that sort of thing. You could also mix up the veggies and use only carrots, or only zucchini, or even sub in some sweet potato or summer squash. These are a perfect school snack for my daughter as they are pretty much allergen free in addition to being pretty nutritious.
Glorious Morning Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, pitted, dates
- 3/4 cup just boiled water
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour or more whole wheat
- 3 TBL chia seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 TBL apple cider vinegar
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or a light coating of oil and preheat oven to 375.
- Place the chopped dates in a heatproof bowl or measuring cup and pour the boiling water over the dates. Cover and set aside until soft, 10-20 minutes
- In a medium bowl combine the flours, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Stir briefly.
- Add the zucchini and carrots stirring until the are coated in flour.
- When the dates are soft mash them with a fork until relatively smooth (no big pieces).
- Add the date mixture, oil, and vanilla and apple cider vinegar to the flour, vegetable mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin cups and bake for 20-23 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan to cool as long as you can wait before eating.