The summer is flying by! I cant believe it is already the weekend before the 4th of July! We have already done lots of summery things – the beach about a 1000 times, biking, walking on the bike path, picnics, and strawberry picking. My girls loved picking strawberries and we picked WAY too many. I had plans to make pie, jam, and freeze some. I forgot that I have small children and those are all time consuming activities. I did make a pie, this pie specifically and it was glorious. I also froze a bunch. The jam will have to wait until next year. Or maybe we’ll do raspberry or blueberry when that time comes. For now, make and enjoy a fresh strawberry pie for your 4th of July.
Fresh Strawberry Pie – Vegan
- ¾ C. unbleached flour
- ¼ c. whole-wheat flour
- ¾ tsp. salt (divided)
- 6 TBL solid vegetable shortening
- 6TBL. Plus ¼ C. cold water (divided)
- ¼ c. cornstarch
- ¾ c. boiling water
- 1 c. sugar
- 2.5 lbs fresh strawberries (about 7 cups hulled and haved)
- 1 TBL. fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBL Earth Balance or other margarine
To make crust:
- preheat oven to 350.
- In bowl, combine flours and ½ tsp salt.
- Cut shortening into mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add 4 TBL cold water while stiffing with a fork, and mix lightly to form a ball.
- Let dough rest at least 5 minutes at room temperature, then roll out to fit a 9-inch pan.
- Slip into pan, trimming as needed and crimping edges.
- Fill crust with dry beans, rice or pie weights and back 30 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove from oven and cool.
To make filling:
- Mix cornstarch thoroughly with remaining ¼ cold water.
- Add boiling water, stirring until smooth.
- Place in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add sugar, remaining ¼ tsp. salt and ½ cup of the strawberries, stirring constantly and crushing berries against sides of pan as liquid comes to a low boil, thickens and clears, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and margarine and mix gently.
- Remove mixture from heat, add remaining berries, mix gently and pour into prepared shell. Refrigerate pit at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream if desired.