French toast is a lovely, quick breakfast. It is one of my go to breakfasts for my toddler. By using a sprouted grain bread and add a few things I am increasing the nutritional value and converting a quick diner breakfast into a healthy start to you day. I have a few versions, one with pumpkin to continue on my quest for veggies in everything, and this one that just adds a bit more protein and nutrients from the almonds. This french toast is filled with almond goodness and bursting in with flavor. I love to top it with plain yogurt, bananas, and a light drizzle of maple syrup.
Almond French Toast
- 2 happy eggs
- 1 TBL milk or nondairy milk
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 3 slices sprouted grain bread
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl until uniformly yellow in color.
- Add milk, almond meal, vanilla, and almond and whisk to combine.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, when hot melt a little coconut oil in the bottom, just enough to coat the pan you are using.
- Dip the bread in the egg mixture one slice at a time making sure each slice is completely coated with egg mixture on all sides.
- Place egg coated bread in the hot skillet and cook until golden brown on the first side, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until the second side is also golden brown. 2-3 minute more.
- Serve hot with your choice of toppings.