I haven’t written a post about oatmeal in a while. I’m sure you have been dying for a new version of oatmeal the whole time. This should do the trick. This is a favorite of both by girls and they love to help make it. They can both eat dates while I chop, then my 3 year old helps me shred the zucchini. They take turns dumping in the ingredients, and impatiently wait as it cooks, and cools enough for them to eat. We rarely eat this for breakfast, but often make it for our mid-morning snack, or lunch. The girls also like it cold and room temperature so it is a stable in our snack bag. This oatmeal is sweet, cinnamony, and filled with vegetables! Everything you could ask for in an oatmeal. If you are serving it to a green vegetable averse person you can peel the zucchini before shredding.
Zucchini Date Oatmeal
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, one small
- 11/4 cups water
- pinch of salt
- heaping 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 TBL hemp seeds (optional)
- cinnamon to taste (optional)
- In a small saucepan combine dates, zucchini, water, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once boiling stir in the rolled oats, hemp seeds, and cinnamon. Cook, stirring frequently until the water is absorbed and the oatmeal is the consistency you prefer.
- Serve warm.