So this is not authentic Thai food, but there are some delightful Thai flavors going on. These stuffed peppers have a mixture of rice, lentils, and vegetables set off with some Thai red curry paste, and topped with a comforting peanut sauce. Super tasty, gluten free, vegan, easy, and comforting.
This recipe was developed in my quest to try new things and was inspired by my wonderful mother-in-law makes super yummy stuffed peppers (and has made me vegan ones because she’s awesome). I wanted to do a stuffed pepper, but take it outside the box a bit.
Thai Stuffed Peppers With Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup brown lentils
- 2 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- 4 red, yellow, or orange bell peppers cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 2 TBL olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced, about 1 cup
- 1 cup diced yellow squash of zucchini
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- juice from half a lime, about 1 TBL
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBL minced fresh cilantro
- 2-4 tsp red curry paste
- Mix rice, lentils, and mushroom broth in a medium pan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until rice and lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375.
- Prepare a large baking sheet by lining it with a silicone mat, parchment paper, or aluminium foil. Place peppers on baking sheet cut side up and bake for 20 minutes until starting to soften.
- While peppers are cooking cut your vegetables.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add olive oil, onion, squash, and mushrooms sauteing until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add lime juice, salt, and garlic cooking 1 additional minute and remove from heat.
- Stir together the cooked rice and lentils, the vegetable mixture, cilantro, and the red curry paste. Add the curry past a teaspoon at a time and taste adjusting to your preference.
- Once peppers have cooked remove them from the oven and fill with rice mixture to overflowing.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes until cooked through.
- While peppers are cooking make peanut sauce.
- Serve hot with peanut sauce and garnished with cilantro.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 TBL brown sugar
- 2 TBL tamari -Gluten free if needed
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 chopped cilantro (optional)
- Boil water in a small saucepan.
- Once boiling whisk in peanut butter until smooth and remove from heat.
- Stir in brown sugar, tamari, lime juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Add in cilantro if using and serve immediately.