Here is a delightful, rich, creamy, spoon-licking good vegan Alfredo sauce. It is also soy free, nut free, and tastes a bit like actual Alfredo (my husband said so). I have only made this a few times and served it over pasta every time, but I believe it would also be wonderful in a white lasagna, or a vegan moussaka. I’ll let you know when I try them.
The amazing thing about this sauce is it is actually pretty darn good for you, and yet has the creaminess and sumptuousness you expect from a cream based sauce. I started this recipe off from a recipe on Pinch of Yum. It was a wonderful place to start. I added a few things to give it a little more body and cheesiness without the cheese.
How are you going to use this sauce?
Vegan Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
- 6 cups vegetable or mushroom broth (I used a mixture of both)
- 6 cups cauliflower florets
- 8 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy-free Earth Balance
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper (more to taste)
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used homemade almond milk)
- 2 TBL tahini
- 2 TBL nutritional yeast
- Bring vegetable broth and cauliflower to a boil, cooking until tender, 7-10 minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooking melt Earth Balance over low heat, add garlic and saute until soft and fragrant, but NOT browned. The garlic will turn bitter if browned.
- Strain cauliflower reserving 2 cups of the vegetable broth.
- Combine cauliflower, 1 cup of the vegetable broth, salt, pepper, non-dairy milk, tahini, and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth. I used an immersion blender, but you could blend in a stand blender as well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
2 thoughts on “Vegan Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce”