This was my birthday cake. Yes, I made my own cake; I couldn’t trust anyone to make it just right, except for me. It was so worth it! This is also my first cake recipe that is really my own, instead of just changing the flavor of other’s recipes. I’m quite proud of how it turned out. Rich, dark, moist, and perfectly packed with chocolate. For my birthday I also topped the cake with burnt bourbon caramel (cook the caramel until it is a little burnt), bourbon chocolate ganache(just switch the amaretto with bourbon), and bourbon coconut whipped cream (add 2 tsp bourbon). I was really trying to take this to the next level of rich, deep flavors. It worked. You could top it with anything and it would be amazing. Next time maybe some raspberry jam and coconut whipped cream. Ohh, the possibilities.
Vegan Chocolate Layer Cake
- 1 TBL white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee, red wine, or more water
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil 2 8″ round cake pans, put parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, oil and flour pan and parchment paper.
- Mix together the milk and vinegar, set aside to curdle.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir in sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add the milk mixture, coffee, oil and extracts mixing with an electric mixer briefly until there are no lumps.
- Evenly divide batter into prepared pans and bake 25-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cake rest in the pan about 10 minutes, then remove and finish cooling on cooling rack before frosting.