Using what you have on hand can be a struggle, especially with it is just a little of this and a little of that from previous recipes. One trick I love is to let go of preconceived notions of making something specific, and just make something that tastes good. I have a version of this rice, bean, and vegetable mixture regularly as I frequently have leftover rice, beans, and some odds and ends of vegetables. You can jazz it up with herbs and spices, or keep it simple like this version. I love the simplicity and deliciousness of a good olive oil, a little nutritional yeast, and some big, crunchy salt.
Rice, Beans, and Greens -How to use leftovers for a quick and satisfying meal
- 1 TBL oil for cooking
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup cooked rice (mine was leftover from takeout Indian)
- 3/4 cup cooked kidney beans (or other bean of choice)
- 2 cups fresh spinach (or other greens)
- 1 TBL nutritional yeast
- 1 TBL good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Add oil, and saute onion and mushrooms until just softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice, kidney beans, and spinach and cook until spinach is wilted and rice and beans are hot.
- Sprinkle on nutritional yeast, drizzle the oil, and add some salt. Stir lightly to combine and serve.
- This is probably enough to serve two of normal appetite. Enough for one nursing mother.