I know I just posted yesterday, but this is worth it, I promise. A dark chocolate vegan french toast, topped with buttery bourbon date caramel and crunchy, salted pecans. Oh man, yes you want this. All components are surprisingly easy to make, you know, if you wanted to make someone special a Sunday brunch next weekend…
Chocolate Aquafaba French Toast
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (straight from the can)
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 2 TBL cocoa powder
- 4 slices bread of choice, I recommend something on the rustic side
- Coconut oil for cooking -or other oil
- Whisk together the aquafaba, milk, maple syrup, and vanilla in a large shallow bowl until frothy.
- Add the cocoa powder and whisk until combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat. I use my cast iron, other’s have recommended a non-stick skillet if you don’t have cast iron.
- Dip bread into the aquafaba mixture and let it sit for about 30 seconds to soak up some deliciousness.
- Add oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer bread to the hot pan (I can cook two pieces at a time in my pan), and cook until the first side is firm and starting to brown, about 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side until it is also starting to brown and has firmed up.
- Serve with bourbon date caramel and chopped pecans.
Bourbon Date Caramel
- 1/2 cup prepared date caramel
- 2 TBL vegan butter ( I use Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (full fat from a can)
- 1 TBL bourbon
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Heat ingredients together in a small pan over low heat stirring frequently.