This perfect delightful, refined sugar free, vegan, paleo, and gluten free. This date caramel would be described as; rich, decadent, sweet, satisfying, and is made from very simple ingredients and comes together in a flash. I have been working on a few ways to use it, but highly recommend this as a start to your favorite dish featuring caramel. Pictured here it is served over sweet potato pancakes with coconut whipped cream. A dish to impress.
For my sweet potato pancakes I used this recipe, but substituted sweet potato puree for the pumpkin, and took out the spices. Your favorite pancakes would also be perfect here, or use this recipe for an guide to find your perfect pancake.
- 8oz (about 2 cups) dates pitted and halved
- Boiling water to cover dates
- 2 TBL coconut milk (full fat from a can)
- 2-4 TBL hot water depending on how fresh and juicy your dates are
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Pour boiling water over dates, just enough to cover them. Let them sit for 10 minutes or so until soft.
- Drain dates and reserve the water.
- Place drained dates, coconut milk, 2 TBL of the hot water, vanilla, and salt in a food processor or blender.
- Puree until smooth adding hot water a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the consistency you desire.
- Pour over just about anything for a delicious treat.