Today is my mother-in-laws birthday! Happy Birthday second mom! In fact, all of my in-laws have birthdays in the next week. That’s right, mother, father, sister, brother in law, and even my husband! This recipe is in honor of my brother-in-law. He is a wonderful person who truly loves key lime pie. He is also always willing to eat what I’m making with little concern, judgement, or preconceived notion of what it might taste like based on the ingredients it contains.. Can’t ask for more in a person. I also thought this was good timing with Cinco de Mayo coming up, which is, obviously, a perfect time to eat things that are flavored with lime.
Happy Birthday to all my chosen family!
Vegan Key Lime Cheesecake
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 1/2- 2/3 cups key lime juice (from all but 5 limes in a 1lb bag)
- 1/3 cup agave necter (more if you desire)
- 1 TBL + 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- For the crust
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (1 sleeve of whole graham crackers) I used the blender to grind them into crumbs
- 1 TBL brown sugar
- 3 1/2 TBL vegan butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Prepare muffin pan with 12 liners.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and vegan butter in a bowl until combined.
- Divide evenly into prepared muffin tin.
- Press crumbs down into pan with the bottom of a cup or you fingers.
- Bake 6-8 minutes until lightly golden.
- Cool completely.
- While crust is cooling; place cashews in a small pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then drain.
- Place the cooked cashews, coconut oil, coconut milk, salt, lime zest, lime juice (start with 1/2 cup), agave, and vanilla in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust lime and sweetness ratio to your liking. Just add a little at a time, blend briefly, then taste. I like 2/3 cup lime juice to 1/3 cup agave.
- Pour into the muffin pan on top of the cooled graham cracker crust and refrigerate overnight.
- You can also freeze these with excellent results, just thaw them on the counter for 15-20 minutes before serving.