Never underestimate the power of chocolate. My lovely 3 year old, who has had chocolate only a handful of times but was not only willing to try this, but begging for a bite; and she kept eating. This is a fun treat, super easy to throw together the night before, and perfect for a quick breakfast, or in our case, a mid-morning snack. The toppings you use are totally up to you and what you have in your pantry. I love some sort of tart fruit, I usually use frozen raspberries, and the extra crunch of the almonds and coconut. Wolfie loved the bananas and Fox loved the coconut and freeze dried strawberries.
Chocolate Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds
Makes 2 large servings
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 3 TBL pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 TBL cocoa powder – I used a mixture of dutch and natural
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Toppings of choice, this time I used: 1/2 a banana, sliced, 1 TBL sliced almonds, 2 TBL coconut chips, 2 TBL freeze dried strawberries, and a few chocolate chips. Other ideas are nut butter, coco nibs, frozen fruit, fresh fruit, other chopped nuts, whatevs.
- Whisk together the milk, maple syrup, vanilla, almond, and cocoa powder in a bowl that has a lid.
- Stir in oats and chia seeds, cover, and refrigerate overnight, at least 6 hours.
- If you’re using frozen fruit you can toss it on top the night before and it will be thawed and lovely when you get to it in the morning.
- In the morning top with anything you desire.