There is a newish trend of using Jackfruit for a meat substitute. It’s really rather brilliant. Texturally it is the closest thing I have tried to actual meat, but you get another vegetable into your diet! This is a super easy and delightful way to mix up your Memorial Day BBQ plans. I like this as is or with a little honey mustard coleslaw. It would also be good on a veggie burger or topped with a fried egg if vegan isn’t your thing.
- 1 20oz can green jackfruit, drained, rinsed, and dried (I used a clean kitchen towel to dry it)
- 1 TBL brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- oil for cooking
- 1 cup prepared BBQ sauce plus more for serving
- Drain, rinse, and dry your jackfruit. I used a clean kitchen towel to dry it.
- Mix together the brown sugar, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- a large skillet over medium high heat.
- When pan is hot add a few tablespoons of oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the dried jackfruit, sprinkle with brown sugar and spice mixture and stir to coat the jakefruit.
- Cook 5-7 minutes stirring frequently until the jackfruit starts to brown.
- Add 1 cup bbq sauce and stir to combine. Continue cooking over medium low heat for 7-10 minutes more until sauce is absorbed and jackfruit is flavorful.
- Serve hot on buns topped with mustard slaw and more BBQ sauce as desired.