Here is traditional “kid food” made in a way I am comfortable serving it to my daughter. I use the gluten free noodles simply because it is a way to get different grains into her diet and the brand I choose is nutritionally dense compared to traditional dried pasta. I also add in some grated zucchini because the texture fits right in. The sauce is vegetables and nuts. How awesome is that?! Again, nutritionally dense, and very yummy. My husband and I love this mac and cheese. It tastes very similar to my other vegan mac n cheese but uses a few different ingredients to keep it gluten free.
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Veggie-full Cashew Mac and “Cheese”
- 8-10 oz gluten free pasta
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup peeled and cubed russet potato (1 small)
- 2 TBL sliced carrot (1 very small)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 3/4-1 cup reserved cooking water
- 2 TBL nutritional yeast
- 2 TBL tahini
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- additional salt to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- During the last minute of cooking throw in the zucchini to soften it before draining everything together.
- Place potato and carrot in a small saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Add the vinegar and 1 tsp salt to water, bring everything to a boil partially covered, and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Add the cashews and continue to cook until the potatoes and carrots are completely tender, about 5 minutes more. They are done when they slide off a fork that is inserted into a piece of potato or carrot.
- Drain potatoes and carrots reserving at least 3/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Transfer potatoes, carrots, cashew, and 3/4 cup cooking water to a blender.
- Add nutritional yeast, tahini, mustard, and tomato paste and blend until smooth.
- Taste, and adjust salt as needed.