I feel as if I am always trying to fit extra nutrients into our food these days. Between making sure Wolfie gets vegetables and whole grains, and that I am eating everything I should to grow a person I’m just putting vegetables in everything! Wolfie has been on a bread kick so I made some biscuits adapting an old recipe with a few extras so I felt ok with her eating these one after another.
As for being biscuits, they’re pretty good. Flaky, a bit buttery, and easy. I like drop biscuits because I don’t want to roll and cut them since I usually just top them with gravy. I take my usual gravy recipe and add cooked lentils to it for a yummy breakfast, or dinner! These are also good topped with jam for a quick snack.
Vegan Drop Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 TBL baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot or zucchini (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the shortening with a fork.
- Mix in shredded carrot if using.
- Stir in milk a little at a time until batter is sticky, not runny.
- Drop by overflowing spoonfuls onto un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.