I saw this lovely recipe on the Aquafaba facebook page and had to try it out. Of course, I couldn’t leave well enough along and had to change things up just a bit. The brownie recipe is from Fried Dandelions ( I just reduced the sugar and added more chocolate) and the inspiration and cheesecake recipe is from Vegan Lass (I added a bit more flavor from extracts). I arranged my fruit into a flag just for Memorial Day. This part is optional, eating these brownies is not. I can’t even describe how amazingly fudgy these are. The cheesecake and fruit is just enough to balance the chocolate so you want to keep eating them. I especially recommend them at room temperature as that is when the fudge really stands out. Any fruit will do here as long as you like the combination of the fruit with the chocolate.
Vegan Chocolate Aquafaba Brownies with Cheesecake Swirl
For the Brownies
- 1/4 cup coconut or mild oil, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup aquafaba -liquid from a can of beans (white, garbonzo or black beans all work)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 c flour
For the Cheesecake Swirl
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1 tsp good-quality vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp bourbon
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 tsp)
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries, or whole raspberries
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×6 or 8×8 inch baking pan and set aside. I used parchment paper also, but that is optional.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt the chocolate chips and oil together. When melted, remove from heat. Add in brown sugar, maple syrup and the salt and whisk together.
- Whisk the black bean liquid in the measuring cup for about 1 minute until slightly foamy (bubble all around). Pour into the chocolate mix and whisk together. Add vanilla, cocoa powder and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the flour to the chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and set aside.
- In a bowl beat the cream cheese until smooth with an electric mixer.
- Add the milk, vanilla, almond, and bourbon, and lemon juice and beat until light and smooth.
- Dot the brownie batter with spoonfuls of the cheesecake mixture.
- Gently swirl the mixtures together using a knife or similar.
- Distribute the fruit according to your plan, then place in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes. The brownies should be mostly firm, with just a slight wobble in the middle when shaken.