This pregnancy thing is kicking my butt again. I have to be super careful of what I eat avoiding: acidic, fatty, and spicy foods. Even the good fats were sending my body into a tizzy! So here i sa delicious, low-fat, sugar-free, whole grain muffin to satisfy. I’m not going to lie, I was surprised at how well these turned out! They are moist, flavorful, sweet, and really don’t taste “healthy”! I’m planning on experimenting with the addition of berries and the like as the base for these is just so wonderful.
Due to the lack of fat these will only keep on the counter for about 2 days, then you should freeze them and thaw as desired.
These really are a perfect start to your 4th of July celebrations as they are easy to make, ready for snacking throughout the day, and healthy. If you are looking for something a bit more traditional for the 4th, I have a few ideas:
- Chili Burgers – or any veggie burger
- Peanut Noodle Pasta Salad
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Chocolate Brownies with Cream Cheese Swirl
- Ice Cream
- Apple Pie
Whole Grain Cinnamon Muffins- Refined Sugar Free
Makes number of servings (yield): 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour (I ground rolled oats into flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 2 TBL aquafaba (liqid from a can of beans- Garbonzo, white, black, pinto, whatever)
- 1/2 a large very ripe banana, mashed
- 2 TBL coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Mix together dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon) in a large bowl.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and nondairy milk and set aside for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk the aquafaba until just foamy, about 30 seconds.
- Add aquafaba, mashed banana, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, and milk/vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes before serving.