Are you suffering from an overabundance of zucchini? I’m here to help. These delightful oatmeal muffins are the perfect healthy make ahead breakfast or snack that sneak in a some zucchini. They are perfect cold from the refrigerator, reheated, hot from the oven, and they even freeze well! This is also a wonderful place to get a few more veggies into my lovely daughter. She loved these, even sneaking them off the cooling rack as soon as they came out of the oven. With no added sugar, and filled with fruit, vegetables, and whole grains I was perfectly happy to let her “sneak”.
Banana Zucchini Oatmeal Muffins
Adapted from www.hummusapien.com
Makes 12 servings
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed or chia seeds + 6 tbsp water (alternatively, you can use 2 eggs)
- 2 medium to large over-ripe bananas
- 2 small zucchini, grated (don’t squeeze water out)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or grease with coconut oil.
- Place flax and water in small bowl. Stir and set aside to “gel.”
- Place bananas in a large bowl and mash with a fork. Add grated zucchini, vanilla extract, and flax mixture, stirring to combine.
- Add oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, Stir until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into muffin cups, filling nearly to the top.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until golden brown and dry on top.
- Store cooled oatmeal cups in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. These freeze well, too!