Summer has arrived, and with it my desire to eat strawberries and whipped cream as often as possible! This is a lovely vegan version of strawberry shortcake. As you know, I’m not into super sweet desserts so this does not call for a lot of sugar. If you like it sweet, just add more.
We are keeping it super simple here with a tweaked version of my drop biscuits, and coconut whipped cream. It is best to make the strawberries a few hours ahead of time so the sugar dissolves and they become nice and juicy. The coconut whipped cream can be made a day or so in advance, as can the shortcake if you are planning these for a busy day.
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Makes 4 large servings
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries (about 1 lb)
- 2-4 TBL granulated sugar (depending on how sweet strawberries are, and how sweet you like it)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 TBL baking powder
- 1 TBL granualted sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup nondairy milk
- Mix the sliced strawberries and sugar in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until time to serve and at least one hour.
- For the biscuits
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar) in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the shortening with a fork or pastry blender.
- Stir in milk a little at a time until batter is sticky.
- shape dough into 4 equal shortcakes on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. I do like them warm, but fully cooled is also fine.
- To assemble
- Split the biscuits in half placing them in a bowl.
- Top liberally with strawberries and juice, then finish with a generous dollop of coconut whipped cream.
- Serve immediately!