As part of my New Year’s resolution to cook more new things I have gone back to my cookbooks. The Veganomicon is still one of my favorites, especially for inspiration. I love to page through it and soak up ideas to be turned into food at a later date. However, sometimes you just need to good from a recipe. This delightful pineapple quinoa stir fry is just such a recipe. I have made a few minor changes based on what I had in the house and the recipe below reflects those changes.
This is a lightly fruity stir-fry balanced by the saltiness of the cashews and has the pop of fresh herbs. This can be a main dish or a side depending on your goals. I served only four people as a side last time I made this, but we are all big eaters.
Vegan Pineapple-Cashew-Quinoa Stir-Fry
Originally from The Veganomicon
FOR THE QUINOA
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon tamari
FOR THE STIR-FRY
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted cashews (original recipe calls for raw unsalted)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 a medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 hot red chili pepper, sliced into very thin rounds (optional)
- 1⁄2 inch piece ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, sliced into thin shreds
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 cups bite-size chunks of fresh pineapple
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 4 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 1 tsp brown sugar
FOR THE QUINOA:
- Combine the quinoa, juice, water, and soy sauce in a medium-sized pot.
- Cover, place over high heat,and bring to a boil.
- Stir a few times, lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 12 to 14 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa appears plumped and slightly translucent.
- Uncover, fluff, and let cool.
- For best results,place the quinoa in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight.
- If you’re in a hurry, chill the covered quinoa for at least an hour. I have also done this with warm quinoa and it comes out just fine, but it sticks to the pan a bit more.
FOR THE STIR-FRY;
- Use the largest skillet you have (at least 11 inches in diameter) or a wok.
- Have ALL of your ingredients chopped and easily within reach.
- Place the cashews in the dry pan and heat over low heat, stirring them, until lightly toasted, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the cashews from the pan, raise the heat to medium, and add the oil, red onion, and garlic.
- When the garlic starts to sizzle, add the sliced chili pepper and ginger.
- Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, then add the red bell pepper and peas.
- Stir-fry for about 3 minutes, until the bell pepper is just softened.
- Add the basil and mint, and stir for another minute before adding the pineapple and quinoa.
- In a measuring cup, stir together the soy sauce, vegetable stock, and sugar.
- Pour over the quinoa mixture.
- Stir to incorporate completely and coat the quinoa.
- Continue to stir-fry for a few minutes, until the quinoa is very hot.
- Garnish with the chews and serve hot.