We eat a good amount of kale; I know, so trendy. However, I actually love the stuff. Eating all that kale, and being me, I have had a hard time throwing away all the stems. If you compost maybe it doesn’t hurt so bad, but I live someplace where that isn’t a possibility right now, and it hurts to waste. When I heard about kale stem pesto a light bulb went off for me. The perfect, and delicious way to use up my kale stems. This is a super simple recipe that comes together in a flash. I’m leaving it up to you for how you want to use it. So far we have done a kale stem pesto pasta with sauteed vegetables, put it in a power bowl, topped homemade veggie burgers, and I have been stirring it into vegenaise for my sandwiches. How will you use it?
Kale Stem and Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale stems, about 4oz
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, about 3.5 oz
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine ingredients in a food processor and blend until a smooth paste forms.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until you are ready to use.