I posted a recipe for chocolate chip cookies a long time ago; I have been using the same recipe for ages, and it is delicious! However, in the last year I learned a few things about chocolate chip cookies thanks to Food Lab and my BFF Kenji (yes this friendship is all in my head). The two things that I have incorporated into my recipe are the refrigerate the dough overnight, and to finish the cookies with salt. These two simple steps are a game changer. The texture of the cookies is a bit softer, and they develop a deeper flavor. Yummy. The salt, I feel is just the perfect addition to bring out the flavor of the cookie, and as a counter point to the sweetness.
If you are in a rush you can bake these right away, but I would only bake as many as you need and save the rest of the dough for the next day.
Even Better Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup neutral flavored oil (I use refined coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance buttery sticks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 TBL water
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups chocolate chips
- kosher salt, or other coarse salt for finishing
- In a medium bowl cream together oil, Earth Balance, brown and white sugar, vanilla extract, and water mixing until smooth and creamy.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt giving dry ingredients a stir before combining with the creamed mixture. Mix dry and creamed mixture just until combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir to incorporate.
- Place covered mixture in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit for about 20 minutes so you can scoop into it.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Drop cookie dough by the spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets leaving 2″ between each cookie.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle cookies with salt, just a few grains per cookie, then transfer from cookie sheet onto cooling rack immediately.
- Wait a few minutes before eating to prevent burning your mouth on hot chocolate chips.
- Enjoy responsibly.